Wednesday, June 8, 2011

To B.E. in France

 B. E. commented in the NYT about her problem with too much stuff and how she wished her husband wouldn't give her any gift for her birthday ( see  http://community.nytimes.com/comments/well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/12/children-of-hoarders/?permid=15#comment15 )

I hear you, B.E.!   I agree, I dread Christmas and birthdays with the influx of more stuff that I don't want.   Try asking your husband to get you flowers (no vase!) or exotic chocolates (and don't save the box!) or a bottle of fine wine - something that can be consumed and doesn't become yet another object.   Or maybe a new hardcover book on the best seller list that you can promptly donate to the library after you've read it.  
I keep saying "Make a donation in my name" but no one heeds this.  

There's a children's book called "Too Many Toys" by David Shannon.   There's a wonderful description on how every occasion calls for another toy to be added to the young boy's huge collection - his birthday party, other birthday parties, a trip to the dentist, a visit to a fast food restaurant, etc.   It's easy to see how we get inundated with stuff.    Go to the library and check it out.   I have taken it out many times to read with my little one.  An absolute charmer and the mom is a kindred spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment